At over 50 years old we are a well-established society having seen and initiated much change over that time. For the historians, our first 50 years: 1963 – 2013 are catalogued in the download you can find on this page.
From a society point of view, we are committed to furthering the nation’s dental health and well-being through pioneering, researching and supporting members. Our prizes, awards and grants are testament to our continuing investment.
We look forward to sharing the future of endodontics with you.
- The British Endodontic Society was formed in 1963 on 16th January in London
- Founder member and first president: Dr Hans Orlay
- The Journal of the British Endodontic Society was established in 1967
- In addition to London, the BES started to hold provincial meetings across the UK
- In 1974, the BES held its first joint meeting with the American Association of Endodontists
- 1975 saw the start of the BES Study Club – and they continue to this day!
- In 1978 the first workshop on the teaching of endodontics in the Dental Schools of the United Kingdom and Ireland was held at the Eastman Dental Hospital
- A BES logo was introduced in 1983
- 1980 – first International Endodontic Journal was published with representation from across the world
- European Society of Endodontology formed in 1983 in Venice
- In 1991 the IEJ reported on the first successful candidates to complete an MSc degree in Endodontics from the University of London
- In 1993 The British Endodontic Society hosted the 6th Biennial Congress of the European Endodontology Society
- In 1993, the Society introduced three new awards in the field of research and education in addition to the existing Harty Medal and prize
- 1977 – The Society became a Registered Charity with the Charity Commission
- 2001 – the first BES website was launched
- 2007 – the first PanDental conference was held with 3 other dental societies
- 2009 – The Society hosted the 14th Biennial ESE Congress in Edinburgh
- 2012 – The Society registered at Companies House and became a Private Company Limited by Guarantee
- 2018 – the society’s new website was unveiled and the BES won the bid to host IFEA 2024 in Glasgow